I conduct research and publish my findings in academic peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
Prior to joining DORA and Chef, I was an Assistant Professor of MIS and Accounting in the Huntsman School of Business at Utah State University and an Assistant Professor of Accounting at Pepperdine University. I earned my PhD in Management Information Systems and Masters in Accounting from the University of Arizona. My research has been supported by NASA, the Gates Foundation, IBM, and the NSF, among others. I hold a patent and my work has appeared in Communications of the AIS, Journal of Learning Sciences, Journal of Computational Statistics, IBM Journal of Research and Development, and Journal of Knowledge Management.
This section of my site summarizes my academic work. My research focuses on three areas:
- Adoption and impact of information systems, DevOps, and knowledge and knowledge management systems.
- The understanding and optimization of cross-functional communication and knowledge sourcing and sharing.
- Applications of data analytics including business intelligence, learning analytics, and cost allocations in high tech.
I often employ mixed-methods design and use several methods, including: survey, log/system analysis, archival text analysis, and various predictive and classification methods. I often combine survey and system-generated datasets. For those interested in collaborating with me: my statistics tools of choice are SPSS, Stata, SmartPLS, and sometimes R. I generally write papers in Word and use EndNote for citation management.
Full-text for many publications available at ResearchGate
- Forsgren, N., R. Sabherwal, & A. Durcikova, (2017). Knowledge exchange roles and EKR performance impact: extending the theory of knowledge reuse. European Journal of Information Systems, 1-19.
- Quatch, A., J. Symanzik, N. Forsgren (Forthcoming). “Soul of the Community: An Attempt to Assess Attachment to a Community,” Journal of Computational Statistics.
- Forsgren, N., M. Chiarini Tremblay, D. Vandermeer, J. Humble (2017). “DORA Platform: DevOps Assessment and Benchmarking," In Proceedings of the International Conference on Design Science Research in Information System and Technology (DESRIST) 2017, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Forsgren, N., A. Durcikova, P.F. Clay, X. Wang (2016). “The integrated user satisfaction model: Assessing information quality and system quality as second-order constructs in system administration,” Communications of the Association of Information Systems.
- Forsgren, N., A. Durcikova, R.J. Mills (2016). “Examining System Administrators’ Verification Information to Enhance IT Training Design,” Journal of Computer Information Systems.
- Forsgren, N., J. Humble (2016). “The Role of Continuous Delivery in IT and Organizational Performance.” In the Proceedings of the Western Decision Sciences Institute (WDSI) 2016, Las Vegas, NV.
- Forsgren, N., J. Humble (2016). "DevOps: Profiles in ITSM Performance and Contributing Factors." In the Proceedings of the Western Decision Sciences Institute (WDSI) 2016, Las Vegas, NV.
- Martin, T. C.P. Smith, N. Forsgren, A. Aghababyan, P. Janisiewicz, S. Baker (2015), “Learning fractions by splitting: Using learning analytics to illuminate the development of mathematical understanding,” Journal of the Learning Sciences.
- Wang, X., P.F. Clay, N. Forsgren (2015). “Encouraging knowledge contribution in IT support: social context and the differential effects of motivation type,” Journal of Knowledge Management, 19(2), 315-333.
- Forsgren, N., Maughan, J. (2015). “Investigating Player Strategies in an Online Math Game Over Time.” Research presented at Western Decision Sciences Institute 2015.
- Neely, P., R.F. Premuroso, N. Forsgren, C. Vician, C.E. White (2015). “Accounting Information Systems (AIS) Course Design – Current Practices and Future Trajectories,” Communications of the Association of Information Systems, 36(1), 30.
- Forsgren Velasquez, N., E.B. Matheson (2014). “An Investigation of Cultural and Organizational Impacts on EKR Use and EKR Use Outcomes Among System Administrators at NASA.” Research presented at and abstract appearing in the Proceedings of the USENIX Large Installation System Administration Conference (LISA) 2014, Seattle, WA, 2014.
- Forsgren Velasquez, N., I. Goldin, T. Martin, J. Maughan (2014). “The Use of Learning Aids in Online Learning Environments: An Examination of Developmental Mathematics.” In the Proceedings of the Annual Conference on Educational Data Mining. London, England, 2014.
- Martin, T. N. Forsgren Velasquez, A. Aghababyan, J. Maughan, P. Janisiewicz (2014). “Microgenetic Designs for Educational Data Mining Research.” Poster presented at Educational Data Mining (EDM), London, England, 2014.
- Forsgren Velasquez, N., T. Martin, J. Maughan, and S.J. Harris-Brasiel (2014). “The Use of Learning Aids in Online Learning Environments: An Examination of Developmental Mathematics.” Paper presented at American Educational Research Association (AERA), Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Martin, T., N. Forsgren Velasquez, T. McTavish, and J. Maughan (2014). “Online Developmental Mathematics Instruction in Colleges and Universities: An Exploratory Investigation.” Paper presented at AERA, Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Velasquez, X.*, T. Martin, N. Forsgren Velasquez, P. Janisiewicz, C. Petrick-Smith, T. Benton, and M. Berland (2014). “Engaging Young Women in Computer Science Through a Novel Programming Experience.” Paper presented at AERA, Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Forsgren Velasquez, N., D.A. Fields, D. Olsen, T. Martin, A. Strommer, M.C. Shepherd, and Y.B. Kafai (2014). “Novice Programmers Talking about Projects: What Automated Text Analysis Reveals about Online Scratch Users’ Comments.” In the Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS). Waikoloa, Hawaii. IEEE.
- Forsgren Velasquez, N., J. Johnson, S. Miller, C. Wann (2014). “Biases and Portfolio Management Behavior Profiles: An Empirical Taxonomy,” Journal of Economic and Finance Education, 13(2), 99-111.
- Martin, T., Benton, T.J., Forsgren Velasquez, N., Maughan, J., Janisiewicz, P., & Diller, K.R. (2014). A Developmental Approach to Understanding Adaptive Expertise. In W. Aung, T. Doyle, F. E. Sandnes & L. Zaitseva (Eds.), Innovations 2014 -- World Innovations in Education and Research (pp. 1-26). Potomac, MD: iNEER.
- Ashmore, S., N. Forsgren Velasquez (2013). “Stakeholder Status and the Effects on Product Usability,” Review of Business Information Systems (17,4).
- Aghababyan, A., T. Martin, N. Forsgren Velasquez, and P. Janisiewicz (2013). “Educational data mining: Illuminating student learning pathways in an online fraction game.” In the Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Educational Data Mining, Memphis, TN.
- Velasquez, N.F., R. Sabherwal, A. Durcikova (2013). “The Effects of Business Intelligence Features on Internal and Competitive Advantage.” Paper presented at American Accounting Association Information Systems Midyear Meeting 2013, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Lee, K., S. Miller, N.F. Velasquez, C. Wann (2013). “The Effects of Investor Bias and Gender on Portfolio Performance and Risk,” International Journal of Business and Finance Research 7(1), 1-16.
- Mills, R.J., N. Forsgren Velasquez, K. Fadel, C.C. Bell. (2012). "Examining IS Curriculum Profiles and the IS 2010 Model Curriculum Guidelines in AACSB-Accredited Schools," Journal of Information Systems Education, 23:4, 417-428.
- Velasquez, N.F., H. Newman, S. Miller (2012). “The Impact of a Secondary Market on a Consumer's Intention to Buy New Video Games,” Review of Business Information Systems 16(3).
- Velasquez, N.F., R. Sabherwal, A. Durcikova (2011). “Adoption of an Electronic Knowledge Repository: A Feature-Based Approach.” In the Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) 2011, Kauai, HI.
- Velasquez, N.F., J. Wilkerson, M. Misch (2011). “Using “off-topic” presentations to engage students and create a sense of community in the classroom.” Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education 3(2): 97-106.
- Lenchner, J., D. Rosu, N.F. Velasquez, et al (2009). "A Service Delivery Platform for Server Management Services.” IBM Journal of Research and Development 53(6): 2-1.
- Velasquez, N.F., A. Durcikova, R. Sabherwal (2009). “Studying Knowledge Management System Success in System Administration.” In the Proceedings of HICSS 2009, Big Island, HI.
- Velasquez, N.F., S.P. Weisband (2008). “Work Practices of System Administrators: Implications for Tool Design.” In the Proceedings of CHIMIT 2008, San Diego, CA.
- Velasquez, N.F., A. Durcikova (2008). “Sysadmins and the Need for Verification Information.” In the Proceedings of CHIMIT 2008, San Diego, CA.
- Velasquez, N.F., S.P. Weisband, A. Durcikova (2008). “Designing Tools for System Administrators: An Empirical Test of the Integrated User Satisfaction Model.” In the Proceedings of USENIX Large Installation System Administration Conference (LISA) 2008, San Diego, CA.
- Twitchell, D.P, D. Biros, N. Forsgren, et al. (2006). “Automated Determination of the Veracity of Interview Statements from People of Interest to an Operational Security Force.” In the Proceedings of HICSS 2006, Koloa, Kauai, HI.
- Forsgren, N., J.W. Wilkerson, et al. (2005). “Using Linguistic Analysis and Classification Techniques to Identify Ingroup and Outgroup Messages in the Enron Email Corpus.” In the Proceedings of HICSS 2005, Waikaloa, Big Island, HI.
- Twitchell, D.P., N. Forsgren, J.F. Nunamaker. (2005). "Detecting Deception in Synchronous Computer-Mediated Communication Using Speech Act Profiling." In the Proceedings of ISI 2005, Atlanta, GA.
- Twitchell, D.P, N. Forsgren, et al. (2005). "Assessing the Veracity of Criminal Detainee Statements: A Study of Real-World Data." In the Proceedings of ICIA 2005, McLean, VA.